HAB News and Events
- 2021 HAB Pilot Project Announcements can be found here.
- December 1, 2021
Please join us for our next webinar on Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 3:00 pm ET. It will be a panel focused on Emerging Data Science Tools for Managers and Scientists. HAB Data Portals: It would be easy if there was one species! HAB data portals are challenging as multiple species occur in the data set- ones that are ‘species of interest’ and ones that are not. This webinar will present three strategies for a HAB data portal - the WHOI HABHub, the co-designing of a community HAB Data Assembly Center (HABDAC) and the HABScope. We hope you will come away with strategies for you to use in your region. Our invited panelists are: Dr. Rob Bochenek (Axiom Data Science), Dr. Mike Brosnahan (WHOI), and Bob Currier (GCOOS, Texas A&M).
Please register for the event here.
- September 1, 2021
Thank you to everyone who attended our first HAB Observing Group webinar on Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 3:00 ET! During the webinar, Dr. Greg Doucette (NOAA NCCOS) provided an overview of the NHABON. If you missed the event, you can watch the recorded webinar here, download the presentation here, and read a news release about the event here.
HAB Observing Network
Welcome to the HAB Observing Network! The National HAB Observing Network (NHABON) is a key component to effectively and efficiently integrating local, state, regional, and federal HAB observing capabilities and delivering products operationally. The NHABON will:
- enable HAB detection, early warning, and forecasting;
- leverage economies of scale and information and technology transfer between regions;
- determine baselines and discern patterns/trends to assess the impacts of climate change, eutrophication, and other environmental forcings;
- be tailored to the unique environmental and community needs of each region; and
- provide observations to support state, tribal, and national missions of understanding, predicting, mitigating, and managing HABs.
HAB Observing Group
Welcome to the HAB Observing Group! The HAB Observing Group (HAB OG) is designed to be an informal community-based coalition aimed at bolstering scientific collaboration and information/resource sharing for HAB observing system operators, data users and stakeholders, technology manufacturers, academia, and government agencies.
You can join the HAB Observing Group email list, provide feedback, and give suggestions for future webinar topics by filling out this form.